Building the Dam Story

At the end, if there is success, one wonders how. Through this wonder one discovers the story. This blog is dedicated to that discovery.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Oral histories

What I love about this project are the connections I am making with museums and universities, newspapers, and now, hearing the oral histories from that particular time and place. Okay, so I'm not talking to the residents of Boulder City that lived there in '32, but resources are coming my way that include the oral history as told by these people.

So, after touring the dam this past week, romping through the museum in Boulder City, staying at the famous Railroad Pass Hotel, and researching like crazy at UNLV, the outcome is rededication. My own oral history of the process of collecting data is told by way of this blog. I'm hoping that here is a place, space and time, to look at the dam from many perspectives in order to gain perspective.

In this I feel satisfied. Even if only I am the reader. It is encouraging to use language in this way. What we express is a gift and often unto ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment